So apparently I’ve turned my blog into an NC State Men’s Basketball blog for the time being. Deal with it. So we beat the pretentious assholes from up the road on Saturday 91-83 in a game that honestly wasn’t that close. Yeh UNC hit some shots to draw to 5 but I can honestly say that at no point did I feel like we were gonna lose that game, and rightfully so, the superior team won. Some quick points from the game:
- When NC State plays defense, they are one of the top 5 teams in the country, hands down. The problem is the whole playing defense thing, as evidenced by the 57 point second half by UNC that cut a 28 point lead to 8. When the Wolfpack play defense, they are tough to beat, but they need to learn to play it for 40 minutes and not just 27-32.
- UNC Coach Roy Williams is still a horrible coach. He may be a great recruiter but he is a stubborn idiot. There were many times State was taking it to the Heels and he refused to call a timeout. It cost ya bro.
- Roy also is a horrible evaluator of talent on his own team. There is no reason Hairston shouldn’t have played more. He was on fire, 19 points in only 17 minutes of play, and he consistently got open looks (part of that is our horrible defense). I want to know what his excuse for not playing him is.
- Carolina sucks. Seriously, they are not a good team. Their leader James Michael MacAdoo or however you spell it is limited. He can’t shoot a jumper, he has no low post game, he pretty much can dunk the ball. Son you should have gone Pro last year when people would have thought you were all potential, now it’s easy to see that you’ve got a lot of work to do.
Now to the post game situations, AKA Twitter and Facebook. In case any of us were wondering about UNC’s history (and I’m not talking about African American Studies/History classes), every Carolina fan was quick to bust out stats of games from 1776 when America was still in it’s infancy as a nation. As a fan base, I know State fans can be annoying, but damn if UNC fans don’t take the cake. We aren’t your rivals, we get it, yet you guys are the ones that keep talking about it not us. Just shut up and hope that your coach learns to coach his team. I feel a Coach K mystery (yep I still feel K knew his team was gonna suck so he decided to sit one out) back injury coming soon for Roy where he has to sit out a year for his horrible team, only to have it backfire because the guy taking over knows how to actually coach. Am I a hater? Yes. Is the truth sometimes confused with hate? Yes. Am I spitting out truth right now? Yes.
So now let’s talk about a team that actually matters, NC State. Guys, I’d like to think that you guys read my previous post on NC State Shit and got your shit together, but apparently we need to work on retention. Our lack of depth might hurt us against certain teams (coughMiamicough), but for the most part the 6 we play are better than the 6 any other team can trot out there. We just need to get in better shape to play that kind of defense for 40 minutes, it all starts at the gym, with the Coach (also Coach Gott, you could use a timeout every once in a while to give the guys a break). What I saw was an engaged bunch of kids that blew out a team that talks a lot of trash to the media (Hey Dexter Strickland, nice layup bro!) because their defense was elite for once (for 60% of the game at least).
- Don’t blow it against UVA, they have a good defense, but our offense is better. Defend the perimeter, call out ball screens, keep your hands up (“hand down, man down”), hustle and REBOUND.
- Don’t get caught looking ahead to Miami, they are gonna be a tough team, but we haven’t proven that we are even ALLOWED to look ahead to other games, one game at a time.
- Freshmen, please, please, please, work on your free throws. I’m looking at you TJ and Rodney.
- When we are getting pressed, please everyone pay attention, the concept that the ball might be coming to you should not be a surprise. It’s not that hard, they are playing defense, the ball might come to you, actually attempt to know that.
- Again, the word I use to describe what we should do most is just CARE. CARE to do the little things, 30 minutes a game isn’t going to cut it, 35 might, let’s try that then we can be lazy again….
Go to Hell Carolina, Roll Pack, WOLFPACK, and whatever else you wanna say, “when we hungry, we eat!”